|While you are viewing the video(s), take notes. The subject matter
should be somewhat familiar to you, based on what we have been talking
about in or reading about for class. When you are finished, write a
one-page paper in which you do the following:
- identify a thesis
and write about it according to the guidelines you will be expected to
use for a SECRET (see
- follow MLA format precisely (see and use all of the handouts at http://www.marthabianco.com/Courses/Cities/checklist.htm).
an introduction (with attention grabber, thesis statement, and paper
plan), body (substantiating your thesis and identifying alternative
arguments/explanations), and conclusions (hitting home your key points,
connecting with the intro, and making an elegant exit)
- include an MLA-formatted Works Cited page and a separate cover page (making the entire paper 3 pages long)
- follow Hodges' Harbrace Handbook
The purpose of this short write is to
you an alternative to understanding the material besides just reading
(I always like to present material in a variety of forms, for those who
do not get everything from just reading)
- give you practice in writing a paper for me, learning where all the resources are, learning how I grade, etc.
- give you practice in using MLA format
you practice in writing succinctly; many of you will find the page
limitations in this class difficult at first, but you must learn to use
words wisely and not to waste a single word unnecessarily.
IS PRACTICE: You should do your best, because this will also serve as
a diagnostic tool for me; if I identify areas of weakness, I will
point you in the direction of resources to assist you. But this is
also an opportunity for you to learn a little bit about writing an
analytical university-level paper. You will receive a lot of feedback
from me. This exercise will prepare you for work to come.
This Short-Write is due at the beginning of class on Thursday, April 20. Please make sure it is stapled and in a pocket folder.
I need help!