Writing 90 Assignment Page
For the Week of September 26, 2008
- E-Mail response to message sent out by Dr. Bianco to your MyPCC address on Friday, Sept. 26. This is due Monday, Sept. 29 by 10 p.m. Check you MyPCC e-mail!
- Journaling topic/theme to work on this week: "How I Feel About the Term So Far" (see general instructions for journaling).
Skim & scan all of Ch. 1 from Sentences, Paragraphs, and Beyond (5th edition)
- Due Friday, Oct. 3, in class (you may be randomly called on at the beginningof class).
Then, carefully read:
- p. 10-11: Underlining, incl. sample passage, "Youth and the Counterculture"
- p. 12-13: Annotating, incl. sample passage, "Women and Witchcraft"
- p. 14: "The Roman Toga"
- p. 16-17: Summarizing, incl. sample summary, "The Roman Toga," by Steven L. Jantzen
Skim & scan Chs. 3, 4, and 14 from Sentences, Paragraphs, and Beyond (5th edition)
- Exercise 4, p. 17: Evaluating a Summary
- write directly in your book or photocopy the student passage, "Summary About One of My Favorite Garments"
- be prepared to discuss this assignment in class on Fri., Oct. 3.
- Read "American Space, Chinese Place," by Yi-Fu Tuan, underlining/highlighting and annotating as you go
- on a single piece of paper, first write an outline of the reading, followed by a 250-word summary (approx.)
- be sure your name, date, and class number ("WR 90") is on the front, and put the assignment in one of your pocket folders
- this is due on my desk at 9 a.m., sharp, on Friday, Oct. 3.
- *Note: to help keep your workload under control this first week,
you do not have to do the second essay in the chapter, as originally
assigned on the syllabus.
- I am also not requiring that you adhere to specific writing guidelines at this time